Thursday, December 17, 2009

Photo of the Day: Halfway Rock Lighthouse, Maine


This was taken during my first cruise near Halfway Rock, circa 1999. I've only been close to this lighthouse twice, both times on Les McNelly's boat Sea Escape II.

I'm always fascinated by remote offshore lighthouses like this. It's so hard to imagine living somewhere like this all year, through storms and all kinds of conditions. I interviewed a former Coast Guard keeper a few years ago and wrote this story.

This dramatic lighthouse is licensed to the American Lighthouse Foundation.

You can also read more on my website.

2 comments:

  1. Great waves, nice shot Jeremy too and the Watch Hill one. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. June 21 2010 will mark the 50th anniversary when my brother (age 15) and I (age 10) sailed from an island near Cundys Harbor to Halfway Rock and back in a 10 foot square ended boat called Piglet. Your photo reminds me of how it looked to me as we approached. In spite of the surf we actually landed, taking as a memento one of the peculiar granite "ostrich eggs" we found there. We'll make the trip again this year, but not in Piglet!

    ReplyDelete